Rice dropped out of the top spot and was supplanted by Mount Mansfield in this week’s edition of the Rutland Herald / Times Argus boys basketball power rankings after suffering its first loss of the season. MMU, meanwhile, has now won its last nine games.
Look for a lot more movement in the weeks ahead as Division I’s upper echelon teams begin meeting on a regular basis.
The biggest move this week was made by streaking Burr and Burton, gaining two spots to No. 6 with seven wins in the last eight outings.
This week’s top 10:
1. Mount Mansfield (2nd last week) 9-1. The farther we get into the season, the more impressive was Rutland’s win over the Cougars in Week 1.
2. Rice (1) 8-1. The effect of one key injury was demonstrated by the Green Knights’ loss to a so-so South Burlington team.
3. Rutland (3) 9-3. The gritty Raiders are 2-0 since Jamison Evans went down. Their game at Burlington on Tuesday was postponed but they have a tough test at Brattleboro on Friday.
4. St. Johnsbury (5) 7-3. The Hilltoppers romped at CVU and look like they are back on track.
5. CVU (4) 6-4. The Redhawks need to beat at least one of the teams ahead of them before the tournament rolls around.
6. Burr and Burton (8) 9-3. The Bulldogs are on the rise but big indicators will be their games against Rutland and Brattleboro.
7. Brattleboro (7) 6-6. Colonels have been pretty much treading water recently.
8. Burlington (6) 5-4. One of the division’s most consistently inconsistent teams.
9. Essex (9) 5-5. If only the Hornets could have closed it out at St. Johnsbury.
10. Lamoille (out) 8-2. The D-II Lancers have won seven in a row including a win over divisional rival Lake Region.
Division II: 1. Lamoille 2. MSJ 3. U-32 4. Otter Valley 5. Mill River
Division III: 1. Hazen 2. Williamstown 3. Thetford 4. Windsor 5. Green Mountain
Division IV: 1. Poultney 2. Proctor 3. Danville 4. Twin Valley 5. Twinfield