BURLINGTON — An expert psychiatrist hired by prosecutors testified Wednesday she had serious doubts initially that a wrong-way driver was legally insane when he killed five Central Vermont teens in a fiery crash.

But Dr. Reena Kapoor said that after nearly 13 hours of interviews with Steven D. Bourgoin, 38, of Williston, she believed he fully met the legal requirements to be found not criminally responsible under Vermont law.

Kapoor, of Yale University School of Medicine, said Bourgoin was legally insane when he drove head-on into the teens’ car on Interstate 89 in Williston at about 11:55 p.m. Oct. 8, 2016.

The Chittenden County State’s Attorney’s Office had hired Kapoor in an effort to offset an insanity finding initially made by Dr. David Rosmarin, of Boston, the expert psychiatrist hired by Bourgoin’s defense team.

Kapoor said as she began to investigate the case, she had serious doubts that Bourgoin was insane. She thought he might have been fully aware of his criminal conduct, especially when he stole a Williston Police cruiser at the accident scene and later returned to crash into his truck at high speed.

Bourgoin has pleaded not guilty to five counts of second-degree murder, which carry a possible 20 years to life for sentence for each count, if convicted.

He also has denied two subsequent misdemeanor charges: aggravated operation of a Williston Police cruiser without permission and reckless driving of the police vehicle by crashing it into the first accident scene.

Eli Brookens, 16, of Waterbury; Janie Chase Cozzi, 15, of Fayston; Liam Hale, 16, of Fayston; and Cyrus Zschau, 16, of Moretown died in the flaming car, state police said. Mary Harris, 16, of Moretown, died when she was ejected through a sun roof as the car crashed and rolled into the median, authorities said.

Wednesday was Day 8 for the largest death case charged as a homicide in the state. Testimony could end Friday with closing statements by the lawyers expected on Monday. A half-day session is planned for Thursday with testimony about cellphone towers and other electronic data used to confirm statements from various witnesses.

Kapoor testified she was skeptical of Bourgoin’s explanation that in the weeks leading up to the crash, he thought he was becoming part of a special undisclosed government mission.

Bourgoin had maintained he was getting secret messages from the music on his car radio telling him the directions to turn. He also got messages from other electronics, including static on TV sending him Morse Code messages. He also said he received messages from a green light on an ATM machine.

“It seemed like a stretch,” Kapoor said about Bourgoin’s story. She said it was especially difficult in light of the “tremendous loss of life” and thought he might be faking it.

Kapoor said she was approached in May 2018 by veteran Deputy State’s Attorney Susan Hardin to work on the case. The doctor said she met with Bourgoin for four hours on July 13, 2018. She did another 5½ hours of interviews Aug. 17, 2018. The final interview was more than three hours on Jan. 25.

“He seemed generally confused,” Kapoor said about the first interview.

The doctor said it was necessary for her to look at a “mountain” of paperwork before making her decision.

“It would have been negligent of me” not to study it, she said.

Bourgoin also reported that after the first crash he went to the flaming car with the teens and when he looked in the front seat he saw two burning manikins. He said he was later drawn to the blue lights of the first police cruiser to arrive at the scene, she said.

Kapoor said after her third interview at the St. Albans prison, she reported to State’s Attorney Sarah George that she believed Bourgoin was insane at the time of the crash.

Defense lawyer Robert Katims asked if she reduced her various findings to writing for prosecutors.

“They did not want me to write a report,” Kapoor stated.

Kapoor said she was later questioned by lawyers during two depositions. She said she asked for more back-up statements and reports, but the prosecutors declined and told her to get them from the defense.

George, during cross examination, attempted to show Bourgoin may have been suicidal. Kapoor said she was aware that he had told a neighbor that if he lost custody of his daughter — which was happening — that he might take his life.

George also introduced evidence of Bourgoin admitting to increasing the amount of hash oil he was smoking in the week before the crash. He had maintained he had stopped smoking marijuana.

Kapoor said Bourgoin had suffered as a child growing up, including loss of life. His parents divorced when he was 12 and his mother died the following year from cancer. He lived with a stepmother and stepsister, but it was not a good situation and he moved in with teachers and friends from high school.

Bourgoin, a former Rutland High football captain, enlisted in the U.S. Army and planned to be a helicopter pilot, but was dropped after about three months due to an issue with a cornea making him almost blind.

“That was going to be his identity,” Kapoor said about the military life. He ended up with several low-paying jobs, including at Lake Champlain Chocolates.

Bourgoin also reported that he saw a crossword puzzle while working at Lake Champlain Chocolates in Williston that was giving him messages and that the invoices he was processing at work also had secret communications for him.

While Bourgoin had personal issues, he never shared them with anybody, including medical personnel who saw him the morning of the crash, said Kapoor, a comment shared by earlier witnesses.

Kapoor was the final defense witness on Wednesday, but one other is expected to testify first thing Thursday. Meanwhile, the state began its rebuttal by calling four witnesses, including three co-workers at Lake Champlain Chocolate.

Dr. Vincent Garbitelli, of Garden City, New York, testified that he was driving south on I-89 and stopped to render help at the crash site. The self-employed doctor said he saw the flaming car, the road blocked, a man face down in the median in handcuffs and no ambulance.

Garbitelli said he thought there was nothing unusual about Bourgoin’s behavior. The doctor said he saw a bump on Bourgoin’s head and nose and he was worried about a possible serious concussion.

Bourgoin also had pain in his back and hip. Earlier testimony noted fractures of the hip socket and back.

Garbitelli said he asked police to take the handcuffs off so he could check blood pressure. The doctor said Bourgoin tried to get up to run, but “police officers on the scene controlled him.”

Under cross examination by Katims, Garbitelli acknowledged he provided a written statement about his client.

“I found him delirious with head injuries,” he said in the statement written about an hour after the first crash.

The doctor wrote Bourgoin was “confused intermittently” and also was “impaired and uncooperative.”

Three witnesses from Lake Champlain Chocolate were: Dody Kirchgassner, of Colchester, a shipping supervisor, Luke Gauthier, of Winooski, a co-worker, and Christine Fabian, of Jericho, a project manager.

They all testified they saw nothing unusual to think that Bourgoin was insane in the days leading up to the crash.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.