Caballero

Caballero

BARRE — Jayveon Caballero’s murder trial is looking like it will take place in late September rather than August.

Caballero, 31, has been charged with first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of Markus Austin in Montpelier in January 2017. He pleaded not guilty to the charge in August, and is being held without bail at Southern State Correctional Facility in Springfield. He faces a maximum sentence of life in prison.

According to court records, a witness told police Austin was shot around 4:30 a.m. Jan. 22, 2017, in the parking lot outside his 191 Barre St., apartment in Montpelier. Austin died from a 9-mm gunshot wound to the chest, according to police and court records.

Police said the shooting followed a fight outside Gusto’s bar in Barre the previous evening, when witnesses said Austin hit Caballero’s girlfriend, who required medical treatment as a result. Officials said Caballero waited outside Austin’s apartment before Austin was shot.

A hearing was held in Washington County criminal court in Barre Monday to check on the status of the case. The trial had been slated for August or September, but Caballero’s attorney Dan Sedon said September was more realistic due to the availability of witnesses that will testify in the case. Sedon said he and the state have been conducting depositions and another round of those are being scheduled now.

Assistant Attorney General Elizabeth Anderson said Sedon is planning on using an expert and depending on what that expert is planning on testifying about, the state will likely want to depose the expert before the trial. Sedon had said in the past he’s been in contact with an expert on crime scenes and shooting reconstructions out of Texas. The expert he’s been talking to would be looking at angles of trajectory and possibly deflection of the bullet that killed Austin.

Sedon was given a May 30 deadline to get information about his expert to the state. Both parties were given a deadline of June 15 to file any pre-trial motions.

The trial had been expected to take 10 days. Sedon didn’t elaborate, but he said based on the information that’s been learned so far it shouldn’t take that long.

The trial is now slated for late September. The next hearing will be June 18 to see where things are at.

eric.blaisdell @timesargus.com

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.