Israeli border policeman and Palestinian protesters argue during a demonstration in support for dozens of Palestinian hunger strikers in Israeli jails, outside Ofer military prison, near the West Bank city of Ramallah, Wednesday. A day before the start of the World Cup in Brazil, protesters dressed up in the jerseys of the Palestinian football team and kicked a ball around outside Ofer, an Israeli lockup in the West Bank. A group of helmeted soldiers prevented them from advancing. Troops fired stun grenades and pushed some of the players who dribbled and kicked the ball over the heads of soldiers.
JERUSALEM — An Israeli aircraft struck a target in the northern Gaza Strip Wednesday, killing one person and wounding three others, in the first deadly violence between the sides since a new Palestinian government took office last week.
The late-night airstrike came hours after Palestinian militants fired a rocket into southern Israel, the first such attack since President Mahmoud Abbas formed the new government and took charge, at least formally, of Gaza. Israel has warned it would hold the Western-backed Abbas responsible for any attacks out of the territory, even though the rival Hamas militant group maintains de facto control.
Witnesses said the airstrike targeted a man on a motorcycle and also struck a nearby car. Hospital officials said the dead man was in his 20s, but gave no further details on any of the casualties.
The Israeli military said it had targeted “global jihad-affiliated terrorists,” a term it uses to describe Islamic militants who follow the ideology of al-Qaida.
In a statement, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israeli had carried out a “precise operation and will continue to act forcefully against those who try to hurt the security of Israel’s citizens.”
He said he wanted to “remind” the international community that Abbas had pledged the new government would uphold previous agreements with Israel. “This means that he is responsible for dismantling Hamas and other terror groups” in Gaza, he said.
Earlier, Abbas’ office condemned the rocket fire and urged Gaza militants to abide by previous cease-fire deals. Israel dismissed the condemnation as “empty rhetoric.”
The threat of violence is one of the many challenges Abbas is dealing with as he tries to unite two territories after a seven-year rift. Hamas seized control of Gaza from Abbas’ forces in June 2007.
Under last week’s deal, Abbas’ new 17-member Cabinet is to administer both Gaza and parts of the West Bank. Hamas has no formal role in the technocrat government, but it backs the unity government and remains the de facto power in Gaza with thousands of armed fighters.
The U.S. and European Union have so far been willing to give Abbas, a strong proponent of nonviolence, a chance. The U.S. welcomed Abbas’ condemnation and suggested it wasn’t ready to hold the new unity government responsible for the attack.
“We expect the Palestinian Authority will do everything in its power to prevent attacks from Gaza into Israel, but we acknowledge the reality that Hamas currently controls Gaza,” U.S. State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said.
Militants in Gaza, including members of Hamas, have fired thousands of rockets at Israel over the years, though Hamas mostly observed an informal truce in recent years. The West considers Hamas a terror group because of scores of deadly attacks on Israel, though Abbas has said the new Cabinet will follow his pragmatic program.
The unity government was meant to end a crippling split between Abbas and Hamas, but the road to reconciliation has been bumpy, with many issues unresolved.
Salary payments for more than 40,000 government employees hired by Hamas during the past seven years are a key point of contention. Hamas wants them to be paid by the unity government, though donor countries would likely balk at the idea of seeing aid go for salaries for members of the Hamas security forces.
Hamas kept Gaza’s banks closed for the past week in an attempt to pressure Abbas to find a solution, but allowed the banks to reopen Wednesday amid rising public anger against the group. Long lines formed at cash machines as people rushed to withdraw their salaries.
Tens of thousands of Abbas loyalists who worked for his Palestinian Authority in Gaza before the Hamas takeover have continued to receive salaries since 2007 on condition they not work for the Hamas administration.
Hamas officials said no solution to the problem has been found and suggested the opening of the banks is temporary.MORE IN Wire NewsLONDON — The polls closed Thursday in Britain’s historic referendum with a leading supporter of... Full StoryBALTIMORE — The Baltimore police officer who drove the van in which Freddie Gray sustained a... Full StoryWASHINGTON — President Barack Obama sought to reassure millions of immigrants in the U.S. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed