• Judge: F-35 plan needs no permit
    May 14,2014
     

    BURLINGTON — An Environmental Court judge says no land-use permit is needed to bring F-35 fighter planes to Burlington International Airport.

    In a ruling issued Tuesday, Superior Court Judge Thomas Walsh rejected a call by F-35 opponents who argued that an Act 250 permit would be needed to bring the planes to the airport.

    The South Burlington airport is owned by the city of Burlington.

    WPTZ-TV reports Walsh says any construction that would be required at the Vermont National Air Guard base to accommodate the F-35s would not represent substantial changes at the airport.

    The Guard has said the planes will require about $5 million in building upgrades.

    The Guard is scheduled to get 18 F-35s in 2020. They will replace the Guard’s aging F-16 fighter planes.

    MORE IN This Just In
    SOUTH BURLINGTON While thinking about space exploration might be associated with Cape... Full Story
    While the State Department announced Wednesday that Rutland had been approved as a resettlement... Full Story
    GRANITEVILLE Vermont State Police say a Graniteville teenager was arrested as a fugitive from... Full Story
    More Articles
  •  
     
    • MEDIA GALLERY 
    • VIDEOS
    • PHOTOS