• Shooting suspect absent from court
     | April 08,2014

    RUTLAND — A Vermont man charged with shooting and wounding two state police troopers and a disabled neighbor in his bed refused to appear in court Monday to answer four attempted murder charges, but his attorney entered a not guilty plea on his behalf.

    The Rutland courtroom was packed with state troopers and others who waited almost two hours before the judge and the attorneys in the case appeared to say that Timothy Foley, of Leicester, was refusing to appear.

    Superior Court Judge Michael Pratt allowed Foley’s attorney to enter the pro-forma not guilty plea to two charges of attempted murder and two counts of attempted aggravated murder. Foley was ordered held without bail.

    Foley’s attorney, Mary Kay Lanthier, declined to comment after the hearing.

    None of the three people Foley allegedly fired on with a shotgun was seriously injured.

    Mahon McCoy, 64, was struck in the head by shotgun pellets while he slept at home, across the road from Foley’s home. McCoy is partly paralyzed because of a stroke several years ago.

    Court documents said Foley, who is known to police to have a drug and mental health history, called police late Saturday to report there was someone around his house screaming. The documents did not say if the Brandon police who investigated found evidence of screaming.

    Around 3 a.m. Sunday, police received a 911 call from McCoy’s wife, saying her husband had been shot.

    Court documents say police followed a trail of blood across the road to Foley’s home, where Foley fired at two troopers. Trooper Matt Daley and Sgt. Eugene Duplissis were both hit in the head with shotgun pellets.

    Duplissis returned fire before Foley surrendered. A 12-gauge shotgun was recovered from Foley’s home.

    It was the second police-involved shooting in Vermont in two days. On Friday, a Brattleboro police officer shot and killed a suspect during the search of a hotel room that police said was drug-related. The deceased was identified Monday as 35-year-old Michael Santiago, of Brattleboro.

    Leicester is in Addison County, but there was no judge in court there Monday, so the arraignment was moved to Rutland. Pratt said another hearing would have to be scheduled in Addison County to complete the details of the arraignment.

    MORE IN This Just In
    Inn owner faces

    shooting charge

    WHITE RIVER JUNCTION — The co-owner of two... Full Story
    Norwich — Members of the Norwich School Board and teachers at the Marion Cross School are working... Full Story
    BARRE — A Berlin man is accused of groping and photographing a drunk woman.

    Andrew T. Full Story
    More Articles
    • VIDEOS
    • PHOTOS