• Fire crews can’t save barn in Williamstown
    By David Delcore
     | January 19,2014

    WILLIAMSTOWN — More than 30 firefighters from seven area departments responded to a blaze Saturday afternoon that leveled a barn on Menard Cross Road.

    William Graham, the newly appointed Williamstown fire chief, said local firefighters were in the process of moving into the new public safety building on Meadow Street when they were summoned to the structure fire shortly after 3 p.m.

    Graham said the fire likely started when a space heater “kicked on,” igniting paint from an auto body shop Dan McAllister runs out of the barn he rents from Scott Hulbert.

    McAllister was initially able to extinguish the burning paint can as well as the flames that had spread to the ceiling of the barn, the chief said.

    But the fire rekindled and quickly got out of control, Graham said, when McAllister moved the still-sizzling space heater into a room that contained papers and some hay.

    “That’s what caught the whole barn on fire,” Graham said.

    Williamstown firefighters were joined at the scene by volunteers from Barre Town, Berlin, Brookfield, Chelsea, Northfield and Washington. But they were unable to keep the barn from burning to the ground.

    “We had a bunch of people readily available, but we didn’t get it in time,” said Graham, who was still on the scene at 5:30 p.m.



    MORE IN This Just In

    GENEVA — Doctors Without Borders called Wednesday for an independent fact-finding... Full Story

    Aid group seeks fact-finding mission over Kunduz strike

    The following is a sampling of calls to Barre Town police in recent days.

    Sept. Full Story

    NORTHFIELD — Partial service will be restored on Amtrak’s Vermonter line today... Full Story

    Northbound train back to normal
    More Articles
    • VIDEOS
    • PHOTOS