MONTPELIER — Central Vermont’s Moretown Landfill has agreed to close its last remaining section, but may apply for permission in the future to open a new one, state officials said Friday.
The Agency of Natural Resources said the terms of that settlement are being put before the environmental division of the Superior Court, which will make a final decision whether to approve them.
Agency Secretary Deborah Markowitz said she’s pleased because the agreement will avoid the cost of a court battle, while protecting the environment and addressing the concerns of nearby residents.
She also said the settlement “affirms the state’s determination that the landfill cannot continue to operate.”
The company has indicated, though, that before the end of this year, it wants to open a new landfill section. Markowitz said that application will be reviewed independently of the agreement announced Friday.
The state previously denied the company’s application to renew certification of its Cell 3 landfill section in March. The state’s order required that the landfill stop collecting waste on April 15th.
The landfill appealed the decision to the court’s environmental division, and the court granted a 90-day stay to allow it to continue accepting trash until July 15 while the court considered the matter.MORE IN Vermont NewsBARRE — Democrat Matt Dunne formally launched his campaign Monday, vowing to preserve Vermont’s... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed