• Jurors in Zimmerman trial ask about manslaughter
    By
     | July 14,2013
     
    AP Photo

    George Zimmerman, center, talks with his attorneys during jury deliberations Saturday in his trial in Sanford, Fla.

    SANFORD, Fla. — Jurors have found George Zimmerman not guilty of second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

    Upon hearing the verdict after 10 p.m. Saturday, Judge Debra Nelson told Zimmerman he was free to go.

    The six-member, all-woman jury deliberated for more than 15 hours over two days before reaching their decision Saturday night.

    They had been given the chance to convict Zimmerman of manslaughter but did not do so, despite asking for a clarification of the charge earlier in the evening. That had been a possible indication they were considering the lesser charge instead of second-degree murder.

    They also asked for dinner Saturday night, an apparent sign they planned to deliberate for at least an hour or more beyond the eight hours they already had put in during their second day.

    “May we please have clarification on the instructions regarding manslaughter,” Nelson read from the six-member, all-woman jury’s note before a courtroom that had rapidly filled up with lawyers, reporters and members of the families of Martin and Zimmerman.

    As jurors awaited an answer, Nelson talked to lawyers at the bench and after a half-hour recess, they agreed to send a note back asking the jurors to elaborate.

    “The court can’t engage in general discussion but may be able to address a specific question regarding clarification of the instructions regarding manslaughter,” the note said. “If you have a specific question, please submit it.”

    Zimmerman, 29, was charged with second-degree murder but jurors also had the options of finding him guilty of manslaughter or not guilty. He had pleaded not guilty, claiming he shot the 17-year-old Martin in self-defense.

    To win a manslaughter conviction, prosecutors had to show only that Zimmerman killed without lawful justification. To win a second-degree murder conviction, prosecutors had to convince jurors Zimmerman acted with ill will, hatred or spite toward Martin.

    Zimmerman faced a maximum prison sentence of life for second-degree murder and 30 years if convicted of manslaughter, due to extra sentencing guidelines for committing a crime with a gun.

    Outside lawyers with no connection to the case said the jury’s question could was an indication that it has taken second-degree murder off the table.

    “It does sound like at this point, they’re considering between manslaughter and not guilty,” said Blaine McChesney, an Orlando defense attorney and former prosecutor with no connection to the case, a couple of hours before the verdict.

    Added Orlando defense attorney David Hill: “Why would they bother to ask for clarification unless they were thinking about manslaughter?”

    To convict Zimmermann of manslaughter, jurors had to believe Zimmerman intentionally committed an act that caused Martin’s death, according to the judge’s instructions. He can’t be guilty of manslaughter merely by committing a negligent act or if the killing was excusable, the instructions said.

    The jury started deliberating Friday afternoon. At the time jurors asked their question about manslaughter Saturday, they had been deliberating for a total of 11½ hours over two days. On Friday, they asked their first question: a request for a list of all the evidence.

    Jurors were being sequestered, and their identities are kept anonymous — they are identified only by number.

    As jurors deliberated for a second day, there was little understanding between two camps assembled to support Martin and Zimmerman outside the Seminole County Courthouse.

    “He deserves some respect and appreciation,” Casey David Kole Sr., 66, shouted about the former neighborhood watch leader. “It’s a tragedy.”

    Patricia Dalton, 60, yelled back: “It’s a tragedy that could have been avoided!”

    Dalton, like most of the 100 or so people at the suburban Orlando courthouse, says she’s there in support of the family of Trayvon Martin, the 17-year-old black teen from Miami who Zimmerman fatally shot last year.

    The supporters stayed peaceful for most of the day until in the afternoon when sheriff’s deputies had to separate a Zimmerman supporter from a pro-Martin demonstrator after a heated exchange. There was no physical contact made and no one was arrested.

    The atmosphere quickly cooled down. Two Orlando sisters, dressed in colorful African-print clothing and walking on stilts, sang “Lean on Me” with the crowd as a man strummed a banjo and people waved signs.

    “We’re just here for peace and love,” said stilt walker Bambi Loketo.

    Prosecutors and Trayvon Martin’s family say Zimmerman profiled Martin because of the teen’s race. Those allegations, and a 44-day delay before police arrested Zimmerman, sparked nationwide protests involving leading national civil rights leaders and spurred emotional debates about gun control, self-defense laws, race, and equal justice under the law.

    In Saturday’s strong Florida sun, some people at the courthouse wore hoodies, as Martin had when he died. One woman lay in the grass, her arms spread, in a re-creation of Martin’s death. Those in the smaller pro-Zimmerman camp held small signs, saying things like “We love you George” and “George got hit you must acquit.”

    Joseph Uy of Longwood was among an even smaller group: the few who said they had no opinion on whether Zimmerman was guilty. He said he came because he was “just curious.”

    “I’m neutral,” he said, while cradling his three tiny Chihuahuas in his arms.

    By mid-afternoon, people rallied in the heat and chanted slogans as a looming thundercloud threatened a downpour.

    “Justice for Trayvon,” some shouted. Others yelled, “Convict George Zimmerman.”

    Police and civic leaders have pleaded for calm in Sanford and across the country after the verdict.

    “There is no party in this case who wants to see any violence,” Seminole County Sheriff Don Eslinger said. “We have an expectation upon this announcement that our community will continue to act peacefully.”

    In New York on Saturday, the Rev. Al Sharpton said that no matter the verdict, any demonstrations that follow it must be peaceful.

    “We do not want to smear Trayvon Martin’s name with violence,” the civil rights leader said. “He is a victim of violence.”

    The Rev. Jesse Jackson had a similar message. He tweeted that people should “avoid violence because it only leads to more tragedies.”

    Benjamin Crump, an attorney for Martin’s family, said the parents are emotional but doing as well as expected as they await a verdict.

    “(Jurors) staying out longer and considering the evidence and testimony is a good thing for us arriving at a just verdict,” Crump said.

    On Saturday morning, Martin’s mother, Sybrina Fulton, shared on Twitter what she called her favorite Bible verse: “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.”

    MORE IN Wire News
    The Los Angeles Dodgers said Shuba died at his home in Youngstown, Ohio. Full Story
    Former Brooklyn Dodger dies; offered famous handshake
    HONG KONG — Hong Kong’s leader refused to meet with pro-democracy demonstrators by their midnight... Full Story
    Hong Kong leader refuses to meet with protesters
    KABUL, Afghanistan — Afghanistan and the United States signed a security pact on Tuesday to allow U. Full Story
    Afghanistan, US sign long-awaited security pact
    More Articles
  •  
     
    • MEDIA GALLERY 
    • VIDEOS
    • PHOTOS