Disaster strikes again as fire damages Sharon home
SHARON — The same home where a deck collapse injured a dozen family members and partygoers on the Fourth of July was heavily damaged by a fire less than a week later.
“I can’t believe it. I feel so sorry for those people,” Sharon Fire Capt. Nathan Potter said after the fire Wednesday. “Those poor folks have gone through so much this week.”
Potter said when dispatchers alerted volunteer firefighters at 9 a.m. Wednesday he instantly recognized the address opposite the Sharon industrial park on River Road. It was the same residence where many rescue personnel and ambulances converged on the evening of July 4 for a report of mass injuries.
The fire at the home of Richard and Michelle Wilson began in the exhaust hose running from the back of the dryer in a second-floor laundry room, and quickly spread.
“We had a good response and we were able to knock it down to just a hallway and a bedroom,” Potter said.
But he said smoke damage throughout the house was extensive.
“They had a bedroom door open on one end of it and a window open so the smoke was drawn right down through there just like chimney,” Potter said.
“I’m guessing they are going to be out of the house for a while,” he said, “because the whole house smells of smoke bad and the upstairs is nothing but black.”
There were no injuries from the fire. The story was different six days earlier when the home’s deck collapsed: Five people were taken to the hospital with injuries ranging from sprains to broken bones, and seven other people suffered lesser injuries.
The Fourth of July gathering involved Wilson family members and people from the nearby Joseph Smith Memorial. Potter said 20 to 30 people, including young children, were on the deck when it snapped off and plunged a dozen feet to the ground.
The most serious injuries were suffered by a woman who was briefly pinned under the deck and had to be cut out by firefighters.MORE IN This Just InMore debate over new town office/gym. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- MEDIA GALLERY