• Rutland runner: ‘No one knew what was going on’
     | April 16,2013

    As Boston Marathon runners walk by, SWAT team members stand guard near the finish line in Boston on Monday following two explosion near the finish line.

    RUTLAND — Suzanne Redder was a half-mile from the finish line when the Boston Marathon came to an abrupt end Monday.

    The Rutland doctor said she was legging out the end of the race on Boylston Street when she ran into a crowd of racers stopped short of the finish line by police blocking off two bomb scenes that killed two people and injured dozens of others.

    But for Redder, 47, and the other racers who were exhausted by 3 p.m. after covering more than 25 miles of the 26.2-mile course, nothing was known about what had unfolded at the end of the marathon.

    “No one knew what was going on,” she said. “The street was backed up with runners. We were just stopped in the road.”

    Redder said she had no phone, no coat and no sense of where she should go when two of her friends from Rutland found her and led her back to the Mandarin Oriental hotel on Boylston Street where she and her parents were staying.

    But the hotel and most of the other buildings near the end of the race were closed by police and as of 7 p.m. Monday, Redder was sitting in a Starbucks wearing her running shorts and waiting for authorities to deem the area safe to return to.

    “It’s very cold walking around with just your shorts on,” she said.

    But Redder said she wasn’t complaining and neither were her parents from Long Island who witnessed one of the explosions and its aftermath from the sixth-floor room they’d rented at the Mandarin.

    Her parents were at the window, she said, watching for her return when one of the bombs went off across the street from their hotel.

    “They saw someone with their leg blown off being treated by paramedics,” she said. “There were some bad injuries.”

    But her parents were OK and were with her Monday night waiting for the hotel to reopen. Redder said she hopes to return to Rutland today.


    MORE IN Vermont News
    The Vermont Agency of Transportation has decided to yank a new seat belt safety ad from the... Full Story
    State pulls seat belt safety ad
    “Vermont is still at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to state support for higher education. Full Story
    MONTPELIER — Incumbents, first-timers and perennial candidates have filed paperwork with their... Full Story
    Vt. candidates file for Senate, House races
    More Articles
    • VIDEOS
    • PHOTOS