BARRE – Officials say the fire on Brooklyn Street Saturday is believed to have been caused by wiring and the 12 people living in the building have been temporarily housed in a hotel.
Dept. Barre City Fire Chief Joseph Aldsworth said his department responded to the fire at 15 Brooklyn Street around 5 p.m. Saturday. He said the fire was contained at about 6:30 p.m. Director of Communications for the Red Cross in Vermont Doug Bishop said the residents of the apartment building, a family of eight and a family of four, were taken to a hotel and will live there for three days. They were also given money for food and clothing by the Red Cross.
The owner of the building, Claude Metivier of Barre, said the repairs are estimated to take at least two months. He did not yet have an estimate of the cost of the damage. Metivier said after the three days are up, the families will receive housing assistance.
For the complete story, see Tuesday's Times Argus.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- MEDIA GALLERY